Thursday, January 14, 2010

I really have been working on my bod, just not my blog!

Hello all,
11 days after my last post, in which I swore I was back, I am now officially back! As before stated, I was working on my bod, just not my blog! But I am determined to exercise, and only slightly less determined to blog about it!
I went back to the gym last Tuesday. Since it was my first day back, I went swimming because it is my most favorite way to exercise and I thought, maybe that will help me jump right back into the deep end of exercise! Hardy har har. Things went swimmingly.
Except...I had to get back into the habit of NOT paying attention to certain things. Things that would scar me for life and keep me forever and ever out of the pool. For instance,
I did NOT notice the fact that when there are a ton of people in the pool (which there were-not that I was noticing - because of new years resolutions. 2010 is apparently the year everyone and their brother has sworn that they will get a little less jiggly) you can in fact, smell everyone's wet, chloriney sweat.
I did NOT notice all the strange swimming attire people strangely see fit to wear to the pool, such as string bikinis, tee shirts, bicycle shorts, those black mesh shirts from night at the roxbury....)
I definitely DID NOT notice when many people would come out of the steam room and sauna, glistening with their dripping sweat, and hop right into the pool without even glancing at the poolside shower.
I absolutely, positively DID NOT pay heed to the disturbing speculation that WASN'T in my mind about who of these several dozen swimmers have weak bladders upon contact with warm water.
Because I completely banned these thoughts from my mind, I was able to finish my heart racing workout in the pool. Granted, I am no sleek female version of Michael Phelps, but I get the job done. I breastroke like a drunken dog, and I use the paddle board like a dog having seizures, but I get my heart rate up, and contribute mightily to that distinctive aroma of pool sweat (not that I notice it) and thus I burn some calories, whoohoo!
After my pool workouts last week, I ellipticaled and treadmilled until I had done a 70 minute workout every day. I only swim every other day. The days in between I get on the elliptical machine for 40 minutes, and the treadmill for 30. These days are not as meditative (you cant swim with an ipod on, unfortunately) but much more active! And sweaty. I am the type of person who dances, AND lip syncs on the treadmill and elliptical. I give the gym quite a show. Though no one is looking. Seriously. When my bootie is a-bouncin' and my mouth is a-screaming (silently) I catch some serious air! So should I be put out that no one notices? Nah, just grateful. I can do my own thing in the craziest, weirdest way possible, and everyone is so focused on their own workout that they pay no mind to me! That's why I love the gym. Unless you are there with a friend, despite all the public machines and crowded pool, and blinding overhead lighting, you are still in your own world. For a stay at home mom, this "me" time is priceless.
Ok, brass tacks.
Before I had the baby, before I started exercising, my starting weight was 178. Yikes! Right before I had the baby, like, the day before, my weight was 201. With exercise, I was able to keep my weight from reaching Big Bertha-like proportions, but I was over 200 pounds.
Geez Louise!!!
Oh, well. I committed to the humiliating truth, and I am sticking to it.
Also because of my pregnancy workouts, I lost all me baby weight by a week after delivery. And there I stay. HERE I stay. Sigh. I have killed myself for the past two weeks, and I have not lost one pound. Not even one half of one pound!!! ARRGGHHH!!! My weight currently is 171. And it is determined to stick around like those annoying guests who never leave. My 171 pounds love me so much they don't want to leave me, I should feel flattered. Well, that's all for now, but if 171 is still on the scale by the end of next week, me and it are going to take it outside, you know what I'm saying? Yeah. Anyways, I am determined to blog more about my life at the gym. And how I AM going to be smoking hot just in time for my summer road trip to el presidente mountain! (Mount Rushmore.)
Ciao for now peeps!
Melanie

3 comments:

Liz said...

You're doin awesome Melanie! Keep working hard and you'll get there for sure!!

Tami Carsey said...

I don't know if you are doing this also, but I noticed when I was doing just the gym alone....wasn't losing any weight,however toning a little bit. Once I started counting calories (only eating 1500 a day) I dropped 11 pounds in a month. Now I am slowing down on losing weight but I figured those last 15 lbs are going to take longer to lose. You are doing a great job keep it up and hope to see you sometimes at the gym.

Tami Carsey said...

By the way, Austin means Tami. I don't have a google account so I use his